MidAmerican Energy
AT&T     1-866-713-9913

CenturyLink  1-800-829-3882


If you have questions on policies and/or procedures, call City Hall, 381-4700 our friendly staff will assist you.  Office hours are Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.   

Due to a high volume of business taking place at City Hall - all business transactions must be completed by 4:15 p.m.  No business transactions will be taken after 4:15 p.m. (this excludes utility payments).   If you are signing up for sewer or garbage service, please call City Hall to make an appointment.  The application process may take approximately 15-20 minutes as City staff will review with you the utility billing process, city policies, etc.

City provided utilities:
Sewer and garbage bills are due on or before the fifteenth day of every month, if the 15th falls on a weekend or holiday, payment shall be due and payable on the first business day after the 15th.  A $5.00 late charge shall be added to the bill if payment is not received.  Payments can be made at City Hall in person, by mail, or deposited in the drop box in the City Hall parking lot. The City also offers ACH payments at no additional costs, applications are at City Hall to sign up.  After payment has been delinquent for two consecutive months, the City shall send a written notice of discontinuance of water service by ordinary mail to the account holder, which shall include an additional $5.00 delinquent letter charge, advising the customer that they have 12 more days to pay or service will be disconnected and a $100.00 fee will be charged.  Water service will not be disconnected during the winter months beginning November 1st through April 30th, at which time if a customer’s account is delinquent May 1st, their service will be disconnected.  For customers that are delinquent during the winter months, November 1st through April 30th, shall be assessed an additional $25.00 a month. The delinquent amount may be paid by cash, money order, cashier’s check or personal checks unless the customer is in violation of Section 13.36.035 Returned Check Procedure.   

Garbage and Recycling Service:

The City of Blue Grass has contracted their garbage and recycling services with Republic Services for a period of 10 years beginning November 1, 2011 through June 30, 2022.  Garbage must be curbside by 7:00 a.m. every Monday and recycling must be curbside by 7:00 a.m. every other Monday.  You may stop at City Hall to get a recycling calendar or you may download off the City’s website.  All carts must be provided by Republic Services.  Holidays observed:  New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.  If the Holiday falls on a Monday, garbage/recycling waste will be picked up on the following Tuesday.  If you have a missed pickup, please call City Hall.  You may also contact City Hall with any unanswered questions or concerns.

Sewer Rates:
All sewer service charges shall be based upon water usage, as determined by monthly water meter readings.  The rates for sewer service charges shall be as follows:
0 - 2,500 (Gallons Used) = $22.69
2,501 & Over (Gallons Used) = $22.69 plus $4.26 per 1,000 gallons or fraction thereof in excess of 2,500 gallons

JULY 1ST EVERY YEAR THEREAFTER – An adjustment, if any, shall be  determined by the City Council on or before July 1st of each year.

8.14.180       Service Charges and Cost of Collection Stickers.

The service charge for collecting and disposing of refuse, and recyclable materials effective July 1, 2018 shall be Thirteen Dollars and Fifty Cents ($13.50) per month each dwelling unit; July 1, 2019 shall be Fourteen Dollars ($15.00) per month each dwelling unit; July 1, 2020 shall be Fourteen Dollars and fifty cents ($14.50) per month each dwelling unit and July 1, 2021 shall be Fifteen Dollars ($15.00) per month for each dwelling unit.  An adjustment, if any, shall be determined by the City Council prior to July 1, 2022.  Yard Waste collection stickers shall be charged at the current rate.  The City Council shall annually set the monthly service charge for each dwelling unit for collecting and disposing of refuse and recyclable materials, and such service charges shall be at a rate comparable to its actual costs.

Leaves and Yard Waste

Leaves and yard waste will be picked up every Monday curbside 7:00 a.m. during the months of April through November.  Residents are required to call Republic Services to have their yard waste picked up at their residents.   Please call (563) 332-0050 by noon the Friday prior to the requested Monday pickup date to be placed on a list.  Waste must be placed in yard/leaf paper bio-degradable brown kraft bags only with a yard waste sticker attached.  Yard waste stickers are available at City Hall for $3.00 each.  During the Fall free yard waste pickup, residents are not required to be placed on a list.


Beginning the month of July through September (Labor Day), all garbage & recycling collection will begin at 6:00 a.m.

Spring & Fall Clean Up

The City will designate a special cleanup day “free” to residents within the city limits of Blue Grass only to dispose of unwanted items in the Spring and Fall. 

Household Hazardous Material

Household Hazardous Material is accepted year-round at no charge for all Scott County residents located at 5640 Carey Avenue – Davenport, IA Phone:  (563) 381-1423

No appointment necessary.

Electronic Demanufacturing Facility

Electronic Ewaste is accepted year-round at no charge for all Scott County residents located at 1048 E. 59th Street – Davenport, IA  Phone:  (563) 823-0119 

No appointment necessary.


Public Works has found syringes in the pits at the lift station on several occasions.  This not only creates a safety hazard for the Public Works Department, but for the entire community.  The City’s waste hauler, Republic Services, will no longer pick up sharps (syringes/needles). Residents must dispose of their sharps at the Waste Commission of Scott County located at 11555 110th Avenue (County Road Y48), Davenport, Iowa  52804.  You may also contact them by calling (563) 381-1300.  Sharps containers are available at the Scott County Health Department and the Waste Commission of Scott County.  You may also make your own sharps container by using a detergent bottle and secure by taping the lid and marking the bottle clearly with the words “SHARPS” and drop off at the Waste Commission of Scott County.

Please do not dispose of any syringes, pills or any other hazardous items by flushing them down your toilet.

Thank you for your cooperation.

8.14.140  Refuse Containers ─ Location for and penalty.

  Residents are to return their refuse and recycling containers onto their premises and remove from the street and/or alley within 24 hours of the designated collection day or the Residents shall be issued a municipal infraction and upon conviction shall be subject to a penalty of $25.00.  This includes removal of refuge and recycling containers from all sidewalks, boulevards, curbs and rights of way. Residents 

Sign up now for“ACH Direct Payment” to pay your utility bill…

You may now sign up for ACH direct payment to pay your utility bill at no charge.  The ACH processing allows you to electronically debit your checking or savings account to pay your utility bill.  A form is available at City Hall and/or on the City’s website.  Residents must submit a voided check at the time of sign up.  Payments will be automatically taken out on the 15th of each month.  You will still receive a monthly utility bill which will indicate the automatic payment amount to be deducted on your designated account on the 15th day (or, if a on a weekend or legal Holiday, the first banking business day following the 15th).

NSF Charges

13.36.035 Returned Check Procedure

If a customer's check is dishonored (returned unpaid) by the bank upon which it was drawn, there will be a $30.00 processing fee each time the check is returned.

MOVING  ????IMPORTANT:  Please notify City Hall if you are moving in order to process your final bill.

VACATIONING RESIDENTS:  Just a reminder… When residents leave their residence for two or more months, they must give City Hall a 10 day advance notice in order to eliminate a minimum charge.  A form must be filled out in order to discontinue service.  Residents are responsible to notify City Hall upon returning.   

Post Office Box

If you receive your mail at a post office box, and your utility bill is currently addressed to your residence or place of business, please notify City Hall, or mark the correction on your utility bill stub that is returned with your payment.